I downgraded like the reporter and things appear to be working now.

Earlier, off a fresh install and prior to installing any nvidia drivers,
my Ubuntu 10.10 desktop was running off the right and bottom of my Sony
Vaio F Series' 1920x1080 screen, regardless of resolution setting. It
seemed like the monitor wasn't being registered correctly, but there was
no explicit bug generated.  Should I file that separately or is that
understood to be part of this issue?  I was getting notified to install
nvidia drivers, and it seems that would fix the issue if not for the bug
we are currently discussing.

--
[GeForce GT 330M] nvidia 260.19.06-0ubuntu1 update triggers black screen on
boot for sony vaio F-series