This is still occurring.  Here are some more things I've tried to clear
it.

Sometimes it seems that I can remove the corruption by changing the
display resolution to something extremely low, but I haven't been able
to get that to work reliably.

I've tried rerunning my dock/undock scripts.

I've tried kwin --replace, and even a different window manager.

I've tried changing the refresh rates.

The only thing that reliably fixes it is logging out and back in.  Of
course if I reboot, or restart Xorg from the KDM login screen, xorg
comes up in "clone" mode instead of with the DVI display "left of" the
LVDS.

This corruption occurs every time I run the above described xrandr
commands, but I can't capture the corruption via a screen grab tool.

--
video corruption after xrandr
which is subscribed to xserver-xorg-video-ati in ubuntu.