This is still a problem with the latest maverick for me. I noticed it
when attaching an external monitor to my laptop, which more than doubled
the horizontal screen resolution without increasing the vertical
resolution that much. It made the touchpad incredibly unwieldy.

Any update on the progress for this bug?

--
Touchpad speed asymetrical (horizontal faster than vertical)
which is subscribed to xserver-xorg-input-synaptics in ubuntu.