As to the question of how it entered the error path, I can't reproduce
the issue on maverick (pasting in the code and running it on a laptop
seems to work fine for me).  However, from the error messages in the

Window manager warning: Failed to contact configuration server; the most
common cause is a missing or misconfigured D-Bus session bus daemon. See
http://projects.gnome.org/gconf/  for information. (Details - 1: Failed
to get connection to session: Cannot spawn a message bus without a
machine-id: Unable to load /var/lib/dbus/machine-id: Failed to open file
'/var/lib/dbus/machine-id': No such file or directory)

...this seems to be suggesting your dbus service is missing.  Is that a
possibility?

--
xvfb 1.9 and/or metacity not working on the buildds
which is subscribed to xorg-server in ubuntu.