I have the same left mouse click stop working problem.  However, this
only occurs on my laptop that has a touch pad.  Left clicking does not
stop working on the touch pad by itself (no external mouse attached) and
in tandem.  Even when the external mouse looses its click, the touch pad
does not.  When the external mouse does loose its click, I just unplug
it then plug it back in.  I've never had the problem on my desktop
machine (no touch pad, just an external USB mouse.)

--
Mouse clicks stop working sporadically
which is subscribed to xorg-server in ubuntu.