I have been experiencing this problem since installing 10.04 Lucid LTS
on a Dell Inspiron 530. If I don't use the machine for a period of time,
the monitor goes into power save mode and then I get a window telling me
that Ubuntu is running in low-resolution graphics mode. If I look at the
X log file, I see the "Failed to submit batchbuffer: input/output error"
message. It is very irritating, because if I choose the option to
continue to use low-resolution, it sends me to the login prompt and the
state of all the work I was doing is gone. // welshgeek

--
[g41] GPU hung:  Failed to submit batchbuffer: Input/output error
which is subscribed to xserver-xorg-video-intel in ubuntu.