nZain, thanks a lot! Works perfectly, and I even have the same monitor
dimensions, so even copy/paste of the sample "execute" line works for
me. I'll put it in startup as I hardly ever transport this laptop.

Such a fix as you did would be SO easy to incorporate into X... but I
suppose it will take another year...

You get +999,999 points for "creativity and helpfulness in the face of
interminable open-source bugfix discussions about simple problems which
could persuade otherwise reasonable people to return to W*ndoze." :-)

--
Cursor can move off-screen when dual-monitors do not form rectangular area
which is the registrant for xf86-video-intel.