The same symptoms happend totoday while running Windows XP x64. So this
issue is either a hardware fault or a bug in the OS-independent part of
the Intel driver.

I will return the device to the vendor, but as of yet I am undecided
whether I should get the same model in exchange or rather a different
one ... I would be gratefied if someone could confirm whether they are
successfully using X201 (or any other Notebook with Intel HD Graphics)
with an external monitor at 1900x1200.

I suggest this bug be closed.

--
TPX201 Xorg freezes with 24" external monitor
which is subscribed to xorg in ubuntu.