Thanks for posting a way to fix the issue manually.

Unfortunately, currently we do not have an infrastructure for
dynamically replacing the EDID, so since this is a replacement edid file
rather than an actual patch, I'm unmarking it as a solution to the bug.

However, I think this is a good example of the type of issue discussed
for addressing as part of the "hardware-desktop-n-xorg-configuration-
the-final-ten-percent" specification, so I've linked it from there.
Basically, we need a user-friendly mechanism for editing/overriding
EDID's where the monitor is supplying a bad EDID.  In some cases we can
quirk around it in the kernel driver, but obviously with nvidia being
closed source that's not possible.

But this bug report demonstrates that given a proper replacement EDID
file, it can be overridden for -nvidia in xorg.conf.  So perhaps this
functionality could be incorporated into nvidia-config, xdiagnose, or
some other utility as appropriate.

The question then becomes, how to generate the replacement EDID.  In the
original forum post referenced here, the contributor used a Windows
utility called Phoenix(?) to generate it.  I don't think we have an
equivalent tool on linux, although we do have tools to decode EDID in
the form of read-edid and edid-decode (which I've just uploaded to
universe today).  Presumably it would be feasible to create an edid
encoding tool by essentially inverting the decoder logic.

--
Dell Inspiron 8200 Nvidia proprietary driver causes display errors (vertical
lines on the right, and mirror effect on the bottom)[Workaround Available]