I have an identical problem with a laptop with a radeon xpress 200M
graphics card running lucid using the radeon driver. The system boots to
1024x768 on both screens. Trying to change the screen settings with the
gnome-display-properties applet allows you to put the laptop screen to
native resolution, but trying to change the settings of either the
laptop or external screen to anything other than 1024x768 makes the
external screen go blank. (and it flashes up "no signal")

xrandr also reports that the external screen native resolution is
1360x768 (60Hz), but trying to set this resolution manually with xrandr
results in the same blank screen and "no signal" message.

I also booted into Windoze and the laptop and external monitor work fine
both at native resolution.

I'm happy to provide debugging info if requested.

--
Both monitors are set too low resolution when second monitor is attached from
system start