Seriously, us-int is a de facto standard, all the keys are the same on
windows (since forever) mac os x (which doesn't have it native but the
one on the internet is the same for years) and on linux since at least
1998. Why change this? There is probably a layout everyone in the
western europe uses so they are not going to start using us intl (well
at least if this layout was named something else before) and all the
people using any other desktop operating systems in the last 12 years is
going to feel left out. I know that I can work around it, but it just
don't make any sense. All latin-1 languages doesn't have "LATIN SMALL
LETTER C WITH ACUTE".

In summary you are probably pissing off both latin-1 and latin-2
speakers (latin-1 is for sure, latin-2 is a guess).

And I know there is a way to make it work, but it has to be the default,
just because it is the only logical default for us international.

--
Please add Microsoft compatible keyboard layout for Brazil
which is subscribed to xkeyboard-config in ubuntu.