My problem is exactly as the OP describes.  I am running 10.04 AMD64
with 2 nvidia cards GE Force 5200 & GE Force 7200.  Whichever card is
set as primary in bios works fine.  Running X -configure from a terminal
creates what appears to be a viable xorg.conf for two cards, but X does
not start, and Xorg.0.log ends with

(EE) NV(1): Cannot read V_BIOS (3) Input/output error

relevant lines from lspci:

01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: nVidia Corporation G72 [GeForce 7300 SE/7200
GS] (rev a1)
04:05.0 VGA compatible controller: nVidia Corporation NV34 [GeForce FX 5200]
(rev a1)

Please let me know if I should open a new bug report or provide
additional information.

Thanks,

Dave cameron

--
xserver cannot read V_BIOS of second graphics card
which is subscribed to xorg-server in ubuntu.