On 06/03/11 17:29, Bryce Harrington wrote:
This email summarizes some key information regarding Ubuntu's plans for
the upcoming Oneiric (11.10) release as it relates to video drivers.
I've indicated the assumptions we're working to; if any of this looks
incorrect to you, please let me know ASAP.

Target Versions for Release
---------------------------
    kernel:              3.0.0
    libdrm:              TBD (Probably 2.6.24)
    mesa:                TBD (Probably 7.11)
    x-server:            1.10
    xorg:                7.6
    drivers:             TBD (Latest releases by Aug 18)
    gnome libs:          3.2 (GTK3)

Important Dates
---------------
    Aug 18th             Deadline for driver version updates
    Sep 1st              Beta 1
    Oct 13th             Final Release

Driver-Specific Requirements
----------------------------
    -intel:              All Intel chipsets>= i915
           DRI:          DRI2
           KMS:          "On" for all chipsets by default

    -ati:                All Radeon chipsets
           DRI:          3D on chipsets besides Radeon HD 6950
           KMS:          "On" for all chipsets

    -fglrx:              Radeon chipsets R600 and newer only
           DRI:          Unspecified
           KMS:          No

    -nouveau:            All Nvidia chipsets>= NV04
           DRI:          3D on chipsets NV04 and newer *NEW*
           KMS:          "On" for all chipsets

    -nvidia (legacy):    Older Nvidia chipsets
           KMS:          No

    -nvidia (current):   Newer Nvidia chipsets
           KMS:          No

Notable Changes
===============
1.  The default graphical fallback will change from GNOME classic to
     Unity 2D where driver support for 3D is insufficient.
2.  The default display manager will change from GDM to LightDM.
3.  The ubuntu-x team will be maintaining a staging PPA with
     xserver 1.11 and other components for Ubuntu 12.04, which will be
     available later this year.
4.  For fglrx and nvidia we are exploring post-release driver updates
     for users on an opt-in basis (via Jockey "Hardware Drivers")

Daily development snapshot ISO images of Oneiric are available at:
   http://cdimage.ubuntu.com/daily-live/current/

Newer upstream snapshot packages of X and the kernel are available at:
   https://launchpad.net/~xorg-edgers/+archive/ppa
   http://kernel.ubuntu.com/~kernel-ppa/mainline/

Bryce

Sounds good. Is the choice of 1.10 over 1.10.1 or 1.10.2 a measure to ensure ABI compatibility during development?

- Eric