On Wednesday 29 August 2007 2:04:08 pm Nitin Gupta wrote:
> > On Monday 27 August 2007 5:01:13 pm Steven Rostedt wrote:
> >> Hi all,
> >>
> >> I'm writing a chapter in the upcoming revision of Building Embedded
> >> Linux Systems. In the chapter I talk about futexes and the new Priority
> >> Inheritance support (robust futexes as well).  This is only supported if
> >> the libc supports it too. So my question is,
> >>
> >> 1) Does uClibc support futexes
> >
> > The NPTL branch (which is slated to become 0.9.30) does.  0.9.29 doesn't.
> >
> > http://kernel.org/doc/ols/2006/linuxsymposium_procv1-pages-409-420.pdf
> > http://kernel.org/doc/ols/2006/slides/sjh-ols-2006-presentation.odp
>
> Are you guys planning to merge NPTL branch to release 0.9.30? Which
> architectures will be supported?

SJ Hill is in charge of that merge, last I heard.  Ping him.

> I remember seeing support for arm/thumb, ppc, mips in various
> branches/emails.

I believe they're trying to merge it all together in another branch.  Why
they're doing it in another branch I'm kind of unclear on, now that 0.9.29 is
out.  Keeping it out of 0.9.29 hasn't resulted in a 0.9.29.1 release yet,
that I've noticed.

> >> 2) Does it support PI futexes
> >> 3) Does it support robust futexes
> >> 4) if not, will it support it in the future
> >
> > Not sure about #2 and #3, but #4 is "yes".
>
> What are the approx. plans for #2 and #3? Is it going to be a port from
> glibc?
>
> Sorry, about asking so many questions, but these sort of questions have
> been raised many times in last 2 years
> and I would like to request that uclibc maintainers need to address users
> concern.

Let's see, Erik Andersen retired as uClibc maintainer, Vapier took over but he
seems to be buried up to his eyeballs in blackfin work, and after my
experience with Bruce F*king Perens over on the busybox list I'm still a bit
singed and don't want to go near a position of responsibility on a project
where I don't personally know enough about the project's original founder
that I can be sure they won't go crazy and turn into a troll on the project's
list.  (Besides, I also have a time consuming day job doing something
else. :)

Manuel Nova seems to have wandered completely off due to getting another job,
getting married, and moving.  Glenn McGrath got burned out in a legal fight
trying to enforce the GPL against an embedded developer that wouldn't give
him source to something his code was in...

> Last year Montavista tried to contribute
> ARM/Thumb nptl support in uClibc along with Codesourcery, but the effort
> was curbed as it was promised that mips nptl
> branch will pick up and merge with trunk.

Ask sjhill.

> It's discouraging for other
> people to use and contribute in uClibc, if such support (NPTL) is
> missing and patches are not accepted appropriately.

As far as I'm concerned dumping the nptl branch into mainline and cleaning up
the mess afterwards really couldn't do much damage at this point.  0.9.29 is
out and I'd have put out a 0.9.29.1 myself by now, simply by applying
backported fixes one at a time to 0.9.29, if it wasn't for that fact that I'm
still too "Burned By Bruce" to fall for that trick twice.

> Regards,
> Nitin

Rob
  - Ken Thompson.