On Saturday 15 September 2007, Denys Vlasenko wrote:
> On Saturday 15 September 2007 20:07, Mike Frysinger wrote:
> > > Directly after that libc-symbols.h contains libc_hidden_XXX land.
> > > I do think that libc_hidden_def/libc_hidden_proto macros need renaming.
> >
> > renaming to what ?
>
> To a descriptive name.
>
> libc_hidden_def(foo)
>
> is not descriptive. Worse: it says something like
> "hidden definition of foo", which is totally dissimilar
> to what is actually happening.

not really ... "a hidden definition of foo" and "a hidden definition of
__GI_foo which is an alias to foo" is splitting hairs when there should be no
indication that __GI_foo even exists in the first place (beyond the people
who actually read the internal macros)

i guess it is at odds with people who think better when they see the little
details that piece it all together ... i know once i understood what the
macros were actually doing, i understood the whole process better ... that
little bit of unknown magicalness throws wrenches into my thinking

> Example of better names:
>
> libc_define_internal_alias_to(foo)
> libc_use_internal_alias_to(foo)

if we'd written this file ourselves, i'd be fine with that ... but we're
importing it and using it as is so we can just steal bug fixes from glibc ...
-mike