On Tuesday 12 May 2009 11:03:49 ipif wrote:
> I'm still coping with my embedded sparc system.
> <snip>
> Running strace the initial parts are identical:
> # strace ntpdate -u <server>
> <snip>
> On the original system the following happens:
> poll([{fd=3, events=POLLIN}], 1, 60000) = -1 EINTR (Interrupted system
> call) --- SIGALRM (Alarm clock) @ 0 (0) ---
> <snip>

looks like signal handling is busted.  iirc, ntp acts by setting up an alarm()
and then polling with short timeouts indefinitely until the SIGALRM fires.
your strace output indicates this: the correct one had SIGALRM delivered while
the incorrect one did not.

check /proc/<pid>/status to compare signal masks between the working
processes.
-mike