On Tue, Jul 21, 2009 at 06:17:02PM +0200, Denys Vlasenko wrote:
> On Tue, Jul 21, 2009 at 5:31 PM, Bernhard
> Reutner-Fischer<rep.dot....@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Mike removed it since it's not libc's business to install kernel
> > headers (and i agree with him, fwiw).

I'll agree with that too while we're at it :)

> Ok, then how can I test uclibc _before_ I install it?
> I can build it becuase I have correctly set up KERNEL_HEADERS="xxx",
> but "make check" does not work.
>
> > You have to have a properly installed set of kernel-headers before
> > you build the libc, really.
>
> This adds yet another step into cross-compilation.

That step was always there if you want to bootstrap everything from source.

> Up to today, I was able to:
> 1. build+install cross-compiling toolchain,

You can't do that without lk headers and at least a 'bootstrap' build of
the C lib headers.  You might be able to 'cheat' and start from some
package someone else made, but _someone_ needs to provide this before you
can build a working toolchain.  This isn't step 1.

> 2. build+install uclibc,

... so you should already have them by the time you get to this point.

> 3. build+install userspace,
>
> and now I need to add
> 2.5 install kernel headers

No.  This is step 1.  Step 2 is bootstrap the libc headers.  Step 3 is
build a bootstrap compiler.  Then you get to build libc before going
back to the top to build a real compiler.

> Can I have an option to not do it? It's not like I force you
> to use "make install_kernel_headers", I just want to be able
> to use it myself.

make headers_install or headers_check in lk source is your friend here.
For any vaguely current kernel this probably isn't a wheel that we
should be reinventing.

Am I missing something about why that doesn't work for you?

Cheers,
Ron