On Sun, 2 May 2010, Timo wrote:
> And yes, it's not full solution. Deep library wise dependencies can be
> temporarily broken.

The problem is that just one level of shared library other than the C
library, is sufficient to break side-by-side execution based *only* on C
library soname changes.  That means using, for example, bash linked
against libncurses, is enough to cause trouble.

> And yes, we do need stable API for uclibc at some point.

No we don't.

When it comes to C library design, pick any two:

 1. Long term ABI compatibility
 2. Conformance to standards, which change from time to time
 3. Avoidance of bloat

libc.so.4 and libc.so.5 chose #1 and #3.

Glibc chose #1 and #2, via linker magic that wasn't available for the
previous libcs.

uClibc is for those who want #2 and #3.  (Or want to exclude features
from the "standard" build, forcing #1 to be abandoned.)

Don't get me wrong; official side-by-side support would indeed be useful.
But just changing the soname *will not give you that*.

---- Michael Deutschmann <mich...@talamasca.ocis.net>