On 10/5/2010 10:14 AM, Natanael Copa wrote:
> Hi,

Hi Natanael,

> The git master have been more or less rock stable since NPTL branch
> was merged in (at least for x86).

at least one good point :)

> Until the config parser commits.
>
> The problems are:
> * memory corruption due to assuming realloc returns same address as
> before. Patches was sent to this list. [1] [2]
> * endless loop in getservbyname when service is not known. Patch was sent [3].
> * lines in /etc/protocols and /etc/services (and others?) longer than
> 80 chars still gives "interesting" restults. The logic for the realloc
> when buffer is too small in getserv*() and getproto*() is flawed and
> just don't work. (i can give details if someone is interested)
> * memory leaks when calling getservent(), getservbyname() and
> getservbyport() multiple times. (fairly simple to fix)
> * if you have comments with more than MAXALIASES words "interesting"
> things might happen
>
> Now, I think breaking git master temporary is ok. Its an acceptable
> price to pay for progress. I think its also ok that developers gets
> busy with other stuff and don't have time to give uclibc 100%
> attention. That happens to all.
>
> However, its not good that git master stays broken.
>
> So, I have a few options I think we should evaluate:
>
> 1. Revert the config parser commits, create a feature branch and put
> them there, where they can be debugged without stress.
>
> 2. Raise the line buffer size to 256 chars, which it seems to have
> been before. (things that still break at that size would probably have
> broken before too). Then rip out the code that tries to be smart by
> doing realloc when line buffer is too small.
>
> 3. Keep line buffer to 80 chars and fix the realloc logic, now.
>
> Option #2 and #3 implies that the patches[1][2][3] gets applied.

I do not know "config_parser" at all, but I looked your patch times ago
and was thinking to push them. I was busy with prelink stuff.

> I have some ideas for option #3, but not sure yet if it will work. The
> code will be somewhat complicated so I think the extra bytes saved
> might get lost in the extra code.
>
> In any case, I think we should do something *soon*, since current git
> master have been broken for too long. I can help but i need someone to
> review (sign-off?) and someone with git push access to get the changes
> in git master.

Honestly I'm not seeing any activities on uClibc in the last month.
I would opt for option #2 and #3. If config_parse needs to be reworked,
it can be done as well later.

I agree with you to have master fixed asap.

I can help pushing your patches [1][2] and [3].

> Thanks!

Cheers,
Carmelo