I was the person who asked this question last august. We were compiling for
Linux 3.2.17 using gcc 4.7.1 on a Ubuntu 12.04 Host.
The problem appeared if I tried to turn debugging on from the make menuconfig.
However, I was able to circumvent the problem by using -ggdb and making sure "
# DOSTRIP is not set" in .config file. After this we were able to use the
debugger .

Please let me know if you need more details and I can provide you.