On Tue, 2013-10-15 at 03:31 -0700, Qais Yousef wrote:

> Modifying the .config manually is generally bad. The best way to do it I'd
> say is by
> running menuconfig for each config you want then copy the generated .config
> to a
> different file. In your script then simply copy the saved config file to
> replace
> the .config before running make. You might want to run make oldconfig after
> replacing
> .config to ensure any new values your config files doesn't have would be
> resolved to
> default.
>
> HTH,
> Qais

This seems to work but I would still like to try and find a way to
generate the .config file I want without having to run menuconfig at
all.  I think what I would really like is something like:

  make ARCH=mips CROSS_COMPILE=mips-linux-gnu- ENDIAN=little \
     ISA=mips32 defconfig

Where the ENDIAN value and the ISA value would, somehow, change the
default settings in the generated .config file from big-endian to
little-endian and from mips1 to mips32.  But I am not sure that there
is any way to pass in values like that from the make command into the
values used by defconfig.

Steve Ellcey
sell...@mips.com