Quoth Francesco Lodi [EMAIL PROTECTED]:
> I am trying to use the c++ string class within an application I am
> writing for a uClinux system.
> The code is the classic:
>
> #include <strings>

Of course it's <string>, not <strings>, but given the error message
below I'm assuming this was a typo in the email rather than your code.

> string: No such file or directory
> error: `string' is not a member of `std'
>
> does this mean that the c++ string class is not supported by the
> uClinux compiler? Or maybe it is a Makefile problem?
> I am compiling using uclinux-front- and this is my simple makefile
> rule:
>
> $(EXEC): $(OBJS)
>       $(CC) $(LDFLAGS) -o $@ $(OBJS) $(LDLIBS) -lpthread -lstdc++

What file extension are you using for your source files?  .c won't work,
you need to use either .cxx or .cpp.

If even that doesn't work (though it should), then you may need to write
the compile rule yourself, remembering to call $(CXX) rather than $(CC).