Jivin Jamie Lokier lays it down ...
> Greg Ungerer wrote:
> > >Is there a (good :) ) reason why uClinux-dist/Makefile clean: target now
> > >deletes the $(LINUX)/include/asm symlink?
> > >
> > >This means that after a make clean you have to make oldconfig to get the
> > >symlink back.  Perhaps this should be in distclean rather than clean?
> >
> > It sure is annoying, I have seen the same thing.
> >
> > Lets ask Davidm, since he made the change :-)
> > From the CVS commit of that change:
> >
> >   2.6 doesn't remove the include/asm link on clean and switching targets
> >   breaks (ie., arm to sh)
>
> Wouldn't it be best to require "make distclean" after switching
> targets anyway?
>
> In other packages, I think "make clean" is not required to remove all
> files which must be changed when swithing targets.  (Seems implied by
> GNU Standards for meaning of "clean" and "distclean").

Beats me whats best,  I have always been able to switch from one target
to another without a distclean,  so I made it do the same (a long time
ago by the way ;-)  Obviously the other 2.6 targets are rebuild the link
at build time,  which fits with 2.6's just make it work and make it
right rebuild approach.

A distclean when switching targets does make sense though,  can't think
of anything (well except perhaps top level config.in files etc) which
will get removed and affect the build.  Try it an see.

Cheers,
Davidm

--
David McCullough,  [EMAIL PROTECTED],   Ph:+61 734352815
Secure Computing - SnapGear  http://www.uCdot.org http://www.cyberguard.com