Thanks for the answer, Erwin!

Erwin Authried wrote:

> > I'm trying to move from dhcpcd-new to busybox's udhcpc.  The first
> > difference I noticed is that udhcpc won't work unless
> > "ifconfig eth0 up" is issued before udhcpc is invoked.  dhcpcd-new
> > don't need the ifonfig command.
> >
> > Is this the way it should be?  Are there any problems (e.g race
> > conditions, since bringing up the interface is not atomic anymore)
> > to be expected from that?
>
> The busybox udhcpc relies on an  action script (default
> = /usr/share/udhcpc/default.script). The interface is brought up there
> in deconfigured state:

I am aware of that.  But the problem is not with the script.  udhcpc
calls the script _after_ it has acquired the lease.  My problem is that
if the interface is down, then udhcpc will fail to get a lease in the
first lace.  It therefore _never_ calls the script with the "bound"
option.

BTW: How do I configure udhcpc to send the hostname to the server?  The
     "-H hostname" option seems to _request_ a hostname from the server.
     Why is -H taking an argument then?