Hi,

I was wondering whether anyone out there would be able to provide me
with some information about memory mapping in uCLinux. I have done a
fair bit of searching for information and so far i understand that there
is some support for mmap() in the uCLinux kernel however i have so far
been unable to get it to work.

I have an application which was written using mmap() to map a large data
file (120MB) into virtual memory. The application was initially written
with desktop/server linux in mind and therefore the assumption that
there would be MMU support on the platform.

I am currently trying to port this application to an embedded platform
which currently runs uCLinux. The hardware in question is the KB9202B
from KwikByte and consists of an Arm core with 64MB SDRAM. It also has a
SD/MMC card reader which is where i would like to store the data file.
The application only needs read access to the data.

I have read (http://www.linuxjournal.com/article/7221) that memory
mapping is possible if the filesystem from which the mapped file comes
from is ROMFS and the mapping is readonly. If this is the case, would it
be feasible to store my data file on an SD card using ROMFS and memory
map this into the address space?

Regards,

Nick Vaughan.

Nick Vaughan

Codestuff LTD

Breich Pit Studio
West Calder
EH55 8PL

tel:    +44 1506 870 777
fax:    +44 1506 870 770
email:  [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Winners of the IIPSEC 2006 Award for Innovation.
Winners of the IIPSEC 2006 Award for Best Software Product.

Codestuff is a private limited company, registered in
Scotland with number 261589 and having its registered
office at Breich Pit Studio, West Calder, West Lothian
EH55 8PL.  Our VAT registration number is 829 9597 53.