Greg Ungerer wrote:
Hi Huergen,
     ^^^^^^^
Oops, typo, sorry Juergen :-)

Regards
Greg

Juergen Pfeiffer wrote:
I'm using Linux Kernel 2.6.10 for Coldfire 5485 in an embedded application. I developped my own device-driver (Profibus), working on the internal UART of the coldfire.

This is on Freescales code base on the 5485 right?
(That is an old kernel...)

This Driver produces heavy hard-interrupt und soft-irq load, because UART Data is received and transmitted with 93750 bit/s. But the driver works fine and communicates with other devices as it should do. No Kernel-oops.

Now i have the situation, that when i try to start some user program like "ls" or "ps" ... out of an interactive bash, sometimes i get a message "Segmentation fault" and the program isn't started. Then i try again and this time it works. This shows up in any standard user programm (most of them inside busybox), but it happens only about every 100th try. free shows over 1 Megabyte of free memory. I cannot believe, that the problem is in all of the user programms.
I deactivated my driver and (bad world) no problem anymore.

So my question is:
How can an error inside a device driver produce problems in starting user programs?

Lots of interrupts means lots of context switches, into and out
of the kernel. If there is any bugs in the entry or exit code
that interferes with the running application processes then
you can get application crashes like you see.

Of course i looked at the kmalloc()'s in my driver, but there are only very few. They are only called on driver driver initialisation.
I could see no obvious problems yet with the allocated memory.

Much more likely to be related to the interrupt/softirq load, and
kernel code related to processing that.

Regards
Greg

Hope, somebody can help me
Jürgen Pfeiffer * _mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] SesKion Softwareentwicklung und System Konzeption GmbH ( : +49-711-9905814 Karlsruher Str. 11/1 Fax: +49-711-9905827 70771 Leinfelden-Echterdingen 1 _http://www.seskion.de_ Vertretungsberechtigte Geschäftsführer: Gerhard Kuhn,
Jürgen Pfeiffer,
Horst Tabel.
Handelsregister: HRB 224379
Amtsgericht Stuttgart
Unsere Ust-IdNr.: DE189769369 Unsere Steuernummer: 99060 / 04155