Hi Roy,

  I think so. SMP863X is an highly integrated System on Chip. You need
their kernel patch for IDE driver,PCI driver,Serial port driver, Flash
interface driver, Network interface driver and USB driver.
  All SMP863X set-top box vendors are "suppose" to release the kernel
source with this patch according to GPLv2.
  Despite the kernel patch, you can have your own cross tool to build
any software on it. Sigma Designs SDK is base on buildroot, and I did
successfully build opens source software on it using OpenEmbedded, base
on WRT54 branch.
  However, any video related operation really need their closed source
SDK.

David

David T. L. Wong
Software Engineer