Dear User Group:

I am using the 2.4.x kernel and release 2.4.27 of  UC Linux.
Executables linked with libssl.a and libcrypto.a are inflated
by almost 4 times their normal size. I think the problem
is with libcrypto.a.  Is it possible to use libssl.a--openssl--with
another library to obtain cryptographic services  or  is
there an obvious way to make the linked executables smaller ?

The size of libssl.a is about 2 1/2 MB and libcrypto.a is about 16 MB.
A link directive from my Makefile is as follows:

$(FILEXFER): $(FILEXFER_OBJS) $(HFILES) $(LIBIMODEM) $(LIBMSMTP)
 $(CC) $(LDFLAGS) -o $@ $(FILEXFER_OBJS) $(LIBIMODEM) $(LIBMSMTP)
-l$(LIBSSL) -l$(LIBCRYPTO) $(LDLIBS)

Note the following definitions:

CFLAGS += -DHAVE_CONFIG_H  -I./msmtp