Hi Jonathan,

Jonathan Pratt wrote:
I'm working on an ixp425 board which was something like the MonteJade.
The prototype boards have 32MB SDRAM populated like the MonteJade but
we'd like to drop that down to 16MB. To test this I've altered the
specified amount of available memory on the kernel commandline. We plan
to implement JFFS2 sometime, but are currently using the CRAMFS instead.
The size of the CRAMFS is 2.8MB compressed, just over 6 uncompressed
with the stuff we currently have in it.

(That strikes me as odd. A cramfs stores its files compressed, I
am surpised you get such good compression of a cramfs fs...)

This means that I can alter the size of the RAM disk on the kernel
command line to 7MB leaving 9MB for the kernel (again this is a
temporary measure). This is specified as 16M of memory at 0x00000000,
and a RAM disk of 7M at 0x00900000. Unfortuantely linux dies after the
decompression of the kernel (I get nothing out the terminal at all). If
I give Linux 10MB it will uncompress and run normally. The system dies
when the filesystem is mounted if I give it less than 7MB. I've tried
putting the zImage into various RAM locations prior to executing it but
it hasn't helped.

What address do you load the kernel at?

When I run uClinux with 32M available (on the command line) and cat
/proc/meminfo, I see that there's 20MB available, with about 2M
allocated to the kernel, 3M in buffers, and the other 7M (I presume)
used by the RAM disk.

Seems reasonable.

Does anyone know what's going on? Will uClinux always require 10MB

Well, its not "uClinux" that is using 10MB. The linux kernel will
need some space to decompress itself, and it will copy the ramdisk in
its entirety at startup before freeing the startup image. (And this
latter step is probably what is causing you problems).

during the boot process? Is there any (easy) way to limit this or is it
just regarded as unimportant since the memory is apparantly freed up
afterwards anyway?

I have run 16MB images before on the ixp425. With smaller cramfs images
though (IIRC of the order of 4 to 5 MB).

Regards
Greg