Hi Roberto,

Roberto Rodríguez-Rodríguez wrote:
Hi, I am specifying the architecture for an academic microprocessor, we want that this microprocessor will be able to run a Linux version, so I need to know the minimum requirements (the minimum instruction set) for running a ucLinux because this will define the minimum architecture. Could any body help me? I have not found this minimum requirements. Thank You!

At first thought the bare essentials are probably
  * 32 bit data path
  * hardware interrupt (for the timer)
  * and GCC support.

GCC support will really define your minimum instruction set. If GCC can target it, you can probably run Linux on it.

Other nice to haves
* software exception / break / trap instruction (and associated CPU mode) for system calls, althought you can fake these with a regular branch
 * caches and cache control instructions
 * HW barrel shift / mul for performance

the list goes on.

There are lots of small, RISC CPUs out there - microblaze, nios, MIPS, DLX, OpenRISC - unless you have good reason not to, aligning yourself to one of these (or a subset) will make life much easier in the GCC and Linux porting process.

Or, go the extreme approach and use URISC (Univeral / Ultimate RISC) - only one instruction:

http://something.cust.viawest.net/courses/ee3651/purisc/program.html

Have fun,

John