Greg Ungerer wrote:

> I would be surprised if this was a general problem given how
> much this driver is used. So I would be more inclined to say
> it is specific to the NXP processor you are using.

I am not exctly sure about this.  The procedure to trigger this hang
is very specific:

 - The console has to be on a 16x550 chip.
 - u-boot must have already enabled fifo on the chip.
 - kernel console must be on this serial line.
 - you need to input characters while uboot is busy uncompressing the
   kernel.
 - you must stop inserting characters a while before kernel opens
console.

I would not expect that many people would even notice the hang.

This is why I asked on this list whether anybody can try to input some
characters on the console while U-Boot is busy uncompressing the kernel.

> I would be more willing to integrate a fix that was specific to
> the processor that is causing you the problem. I would want to see
> a lot wider testing on a variety of platforms with 8250 style UARTs
> before changing the code for all.
>
> I commited the "#if" fix, no problem with that.

Thanks, Greg!