Hi Jim,

Jim Ramsay wrote:
"Jate Sujjavanich" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
You will have to obtain the main 2.6.x kernel, and apply a patch from
the uclinux.org downloads. By coincidence, I just did that this
morning.

I was actually hoping that I could get a little more detailed glimpse
into the development history of the uClinux 2.6.x kernel.  Just
applying one big monolithic patch doesn't provide this information.

Which brings up another question I had regarding the uClinux patches:

I understand that the 'linux-2.6.19-uc0-big.patch.gz' is a patch to be
applied to the vanilla 2.6.19 which brings me all the uClinux changes.
However, what is the purpose of the 'linux-2.6.20-uc0.patch.gz'?

The normal patch (ie not the "big") is the set of changes that I
am considering sending for inclusion into mainline kernels. So it
will be a subset of what is in the big patch.

I was assuming it's some sort of delta between linux-2.6.19-uc0 and
linux-2.6.20-uc0, but it's not entirely clear how to get from one to
the next.

No, it is a subset of the "big", not a delta.

1) Download vanilla linux-2.6.19
2) Apply linux-2.6.19-uc0-big.patch.gz
  -- You are now at the released uClinux 2.6.x based on 2.6.19 --

Now, how do you use linux-2.6.20-uc0.patch.gz to get all the way to the
uClinux 2.6.x based on 2.6.20?

No, there is no delta patch. Get the next kernel version and apply
the relevant ucX-big patch.

I was thinking that you *somehow* apply a patch to get yourself from
2.6.19 to 2.6.20, and then somehow resolve the conflicts inherent in
this merge since the 2.6.19-uc0 patch altered some 2.6.19 files, and
then you should be able to apply linux-2.6.20-uc0.patch.gz.

But what is this magic process to get to the point where
linux-2.6.20-uc0.patch.gz will apply cleanly?

Apply it to a standard 2.6.20. Most people probably use the "big"
patch if they are building with uClinux-dist.

Regards
Greg