Hi all,

I would really appreciate any comments on this "problem": We have a
device (which is in full production) which is based on a Coldfire 5208,
running 2.4.27-uc1. The system uses the uClinux-dist shipped ftpd to
setup a ftp server. Work fine. Now, one customer uses a GPRS router, and
a small switch to place two of these devices behind the single
GPRS-router. He has configured the NAT in the GPRS-router to direct
traffic to each uClinux ftp server depending on the ports accessed. Port
21 is forwarded to IP x, and port 9000 forwarded to IP y.

FTP'ing to port 21 works perfect. When trying to FTP to port 9000 the
problems begin. Loggin in works. But trying a dir or get we typically
get the "500 Illegal PORT command". The firewalls are disabled. This
typically occurs if I FTP from within a small office network using
simple routers. When trying from a very large facility the other day,
everything worked perfectly. Can this be explaind by this large company
having more intelligent routers, which detects that a FTP session is in
progress and forwards the incoming connection to the correct IP?

Anyway, one possible way could be to use Passive FTP to the uClinux ftp
servers, but then I must be able to setup a limited port range for the
ftp servers when they give the client the port to connect back to, so
the customer can put this port range in the GPRS router's NAT. But I do
not think this is possible with the inetutils ftpd? Is there any other
ftp server usable in uClinux, which can be used as a placement for the
inetutils ftpd so I can configure the Passive mode port range? Or am I
missing some other possibility? I start to feel confused....:)

Thank you...

Martin