Hi Jamie,

Jamie Lokier wrote:
Greg Ungerer wrote:
By the way, should i use the "linux-2.6.24-uc0.patch" from uclinux as my kernel
porting start point?
Or use the "linux-2.6.14-hsc0.patch" from the uClinux/ARM2.6
project(http://opensrc.sec.samsung.com/)?
In fact, the two projects confuse me.
Up to you :-)
2.6.14-hsc0 is old and won't port to newer kernels easily.
But many of the mmu-less targets had some working support.

2.6.24-uc0 is a modern kernel version, and large parts of it
merged into mainline linux 2.6.24. But some of the
non-mmu arm target CPU's code is not up to date for it.

I too am confused about the two projects and where ARM development is
taking place.

It is not really that there is 2 projects anymore.
Nobody as heard for Hyok (the hsc0 changes) for quite some
time. As far as I can tell he no longer works on non-mmu ARM.
So there is no effort around hsc patches.

I have been working from each new linux-2.6 series kernel
to get the ARM non-mmu support integrated into mainline (working
through RMK to get this done). It has been a slow process, and
it is not quite complete yet. I would say it is 95% of the way
there though. It is close to the basic support being in mainline
kernels.

Where can I get the up to date generic non-mmu ARM code?  Or is
non-mmu ARM no longer supported in current 2.6 kernels?

It is. The uClinux-dist patches are the place that are most up
to date. (Note you want to get the uClinux-dist patches, not
the -uc series kernel patches).

I actively work on the AT91M040 support (so GDB/ARMulator,
Skyeye emulator, and the real Atmel ATEB01 board). I keep those
working in the uClinux-dist on each modern 2.6 series kernel
as it is released.

It is specifically this processor that is integrated into
current 2.6 main line kernels too. I don't work on any others,
so there is no other non-mmu ARM CPU support in current main
line kernels.

The last post to http://opensrc.sec.samsung.com/ implies it is now
maintained in kernel.org trees, but your answer seems to contradict
that.

Yeah, not quite right. Full core support not quite done yet.
And very little specific processor or machine support is there.

For what its worth the uclinux-dev list is probably the
best place to talk about this. The arm-linux-kernel list
is also appropriate, but you will find less people who know
about non-mmu there.

I would love to see more of the processor/machine support
in the newest uClinux-2.6.x series kernels updated and working.

The same goes for the tools: there seem to be a number of divergent
toolchains - and individual tools - some of which work, and it's hard
to know where to find a good version.  The ucLinux development
resources seem very fragmented compared with the mainstream Linux
development resources.

Yes, these is a lack of co-ordination :-(

I use the arm-linux tools exclusively now for developing non-mmu
ARM uClinux. I find I need a modern gcc version to cleanly compile
modern 2.6 series kernels. The older arm-elf tools don't give me this.

I have no problem using the same arm-linux tools I use to develop
for full VM targets. Note that I don't use XIP or shared libs on
non-mmu ARM builds, I don't build any C++ apps, and I don't build
anything out of the uClinux-dist tree.

Long ago I thought the obvious starting point was uclinux.org for
uClinux tools, but I found that some were years out of date and don't
work with current systems.  The recommendations on this list are good,
but tend to point to different places for tools for each architecture,
and change from year to year.

Unfortunately yes. The problem I find is newer kernels means you
need more modern tools. You can't always stick with older tools.
And, for the uClinux case where these is often additional patches
to the toolchain (for things like XIP, shared libs, etc) that makes
switching to newer tool chains sometimes difficult.

And of recent years there has been vendors supplying tools
as well into this space...

Please don't think I'm complaining, I'm just surprised that there
Google reveals no obvious single place which explains where to find
current toolchains and kernels which work for all the major supported
architectures, even if it's just a page of up to date links to other
places.

I guess uclinux.org was that place, once, but it has gotten a few
years out of date and needs to love and attention.  Is there another
canonical place now, or, I'm wondering, would it be useful to offer
some help bringing the content of uclinux.org up to date?

I don't think there is anywhere else.

But it sure would be nice to get things a little more co-ordinated
on uclinux.org. I am sure any help there would be appreciated!

Regards
Greg