Hi Bob,

Bob Grimes wrote:
First, thanks for all the help - it _is_ starting to make sense!

On Tue, Apr 1, 2008 at 8:04 PM, David McCullough >  Check out:
        http://www.ucdot.org/article.pl?sid=02/09/20/041251
        http://www.ucdot.org/article.pl?sid=03/01/11/1049210

David, thanks for the pointers, especially for Greg's article - I may
have seen it before, and forgotten it in the year or so that I've been
dabbling.

Greg, thanks for the netflash tip.  I had initially ruled that out, as
in many cases, I won't have the network available; however, in your
article that David pointed out to me, you note it can use a local
file, so that's probably what I'll do.

Now, it seems my task is to define the appropriate partitions, and I
should be good to go.  It appears I can write a mapping driver, or
possibly use command line options.  I should note that I'm using a 2.6
kernel (specifically, 2.6.17.1).  What is the current "best way"?

If your mapping requirements are simple then command line definitions
are fine. For some boards with complex or unusual flash or mapping
requirements a mapping driver may be required.

It seems a bit odd to have board-specific source files in the kernel
tree - isn't that what we have in linux-2.6.17.1/drivers/mtd/maps/?
I understand how history tends to drive the current...

There are plently of board specific source files in the arch
directories too :-)

Sometimes specific hardware platforms have the flash hooked in
odd ways. Or there are dynamic/runtime partition layouts.

Seems a mapping driver is a bit heavy, and I'm not sure what needs to
be in such a driver.  So my inclination is to use kernel command line
arguments (unless you all think it's not the best way to go), but I
could use a pointer or two to references for the available arguments
and formats, etc.

If the command line partition setup can do everything you need
then that is the way to go.

Regards
Greg