Robin Getz wrote:

>> What modern no-mmu architecture would you recommend as a safe bet
>> for someone getting started in uClinux?
>
> Depends on if you are looking for a soft or hard core.

I would prefer a hard core, but I can't find a microcontroller (Blackfin,
ColdFire, etc.) with the exact peripheral set I need.
Hence I'm considering FPGA's, specifically the non-volatile kind.
That means Lattice with the MICO32 or Actel with the ARM Cortex-M1.

> What would make me more nervous is when someone says their compiler is
> so broken they need to make changes to the kernel to have it work :(

I'm less and less inclined to choose Lattice ...

The Actel device plus ARM Cortex-M1 plus uClinux would be a nice solution.
CodeSourcery claim support, but I haven't tried it yet.

Ben.