On 2008-09-17, Greg Ungerer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Hi Grant,
>
> Grant Edwards wrote:

>>> I gave up on the xcopilot target, and decided to try to build
>>> the Samsung S3C4510B target using arm-linux-tools-20070808.
>>>
>>> There is no 2.6 or 2.0 configuration for the S3C4510, so I
>>> tried to build 2.4.  That fails:
>>
>> OK, so I gave up on xcopilot, and I gave up on S3C4510.
>>
>> There must be at least _one_ target that builds -- right?
>>
>> Seriously.  There is, isn't there?
>
> Yes, there is at least one :-)
> Here is what I tested (with vendor/product and specific
> kernel version and libc) before I pushed up 20080808:

[...]

OK, that's reassuring.

>> ./vendors/config/m68knommu/config.arch:ifneq ($(shell which
>> m68k-uclinux-20060615-gcc),)
>> ./vendors/config/m68knommu/config.arch:CROSS_COMPILE = m68k-uclinux-20060615-
>>
>> What's so special about that particular version of the
>> m68k-uclinux toolchain?
>>
>> Should we not use a later toolchain?
>
> The dist has been set up to allow multiple similar tool chanins
> to be installed (thus the dated tool parts). But it will fall back
> to the usual base type (ie m68k-elf-) if nothing else is installed.
>
>> Is using too recent a toolchain with m68k targets what causes
>> the thousands of warnings like these?
>>
>> namei.c:2050: warning: matching constraint does not allow a register
>> namei.c:2050: warning: matching constraint does not allow a register
>> namei.c:2050: warning: matching constraint does not allow a register
>> namei.c:2050: warning: matching constraint does not allow a register
>> namei.c:2050: warning: matching constraint does not allow a register
>> namei.c:2050: warning: matching constraint does not allow a register
>
> That is the older 2.4 kernel code not being warning clean on
> more modern versions of gcc. It is noisy, but otherwise seems
> to work. You will get very few warnings if using the 2.6 kernel.

According to HOWTO in the Doc directory for the Snapgear LITE
you can build either 2.0 or 2.4 -- so I didn't try 2.6.

>> the later failure which is caused by a non-existant directory
>> path being passed to mkdep:
>>
>>   -I /usr/local/lib/gcc/m68k-uclinux/4.1.1//include
>>
>> That's wront because my toolchain is not installed in
>> /usr/local.

I was unable to figure out where that path was coming from so
as temporary work-around, I set up a symbolic link from
/usr/local/lib/gcc/m68k-uclinux to the proper directory.

After that I did get a successful build for the SnapGear Lite.
It turns out that the SnapGear units I've got sitting around
are Pros and not Lites, so I'll try building for the Pro...

--
Grant