If I understand it correctly, your understanding is correct. :)

You could instrument sched() function to see if you reach there
and to see if you ever even do a switch_to() at all.

There are plenty of books about linux kernel will touch the topic,
but may not reach the detailed level you are looking for. The code
is the best book in many cases.

Cheers.

Jun