Hi Grant,

Have you tried to compile the kernel with low-latency + preemtion option
which is supposed to allow userspace applications to react faster?  I
believe that the default is 'server' mode.  I
think 'Low-Latency Desktop' mode may give you better performance.

Here is what your linux config option will look like:

Processor type and features
  Preemption Model
    ( ) No Forced Preemption (Server)
    ( ) Voluntary Kernel Preemption (Desktop)
    (x) Preemptible Kernel (Low-Latency Desktop)

Let us know if your performance improves by trying any of these options,

Dave