Well, that didn't go at all well.  I lost all of the fixes I
had made to the opencores ethernet driver,
I hope you did make a backup.

That is unusual. git is not suppose to destroy your changes in source code. you should be able to see them with "git status" or gitk.

At best you check in you changes in into your local git repository by "git add" and "git commit". If git can't resolve conflicts, it is supposed to ask you what to do (using git mergetool).

(I'm not very knowledgeable with git and have problems with same myself all the time, but it did never silently destroy my work yet.)

and "make
menuconfig" no longer works:

   make[1]: Entering directory
`/home/grante/uclinux/nios/nios2-linux/uClinux-dist'
   KCONFIG_NOTIMESTAMP=1 make ARCH=nios2 CROSS_COMPILE=nios2-linux-uclibc- -C
/home/grante/uclinux/nios/nios2-linux/uClinux-dist/../linux-2.6
O=/home/grante/uclinux/nios/nios2-linux/uClinux-dist/linux-2.6.x menuconfig
   make[2]: Entering directory `/home/grante/uclinux/nios/nios2-linux/linux-2.6'
     no emulation specific options.
   /home/grante/uclinux/nios/nios2-linux/linux-2.6/scripts/Makefile.build:60:
scripts/Makefile.host: No such file or directory
   make[4]: *** No rule to make target `scripts/Makefile.host'.  Stop.
   make[3]: *** [scripts_basic] Error 2
   make[2]: *** [sub-make] Error 2
   make[2]: Leaving directory `/home/grante/uclinux/nios/nios2-linux/linux-2.6'
   make[1]: *** [linux_menuconfig] Error 2
   make[1]: Leaving directory
`/home/grante/uclinux/nios/nios2-linux/uClinux-dist'
   make: *** [menuconfig] Error 2

The message from make is correct, there is no file named
"linux-2.6/scripts/Makefile.host".

Where does that file come from?
Sorry, I don't know anything about that. You can try to do a "make clear" and "make vendor hwselect" before doing "make menuconfig".

I just did a git pull, too. I could do "make menuconfig" and found that all my settings were still in place. But the 2.6.28 Kernel did not compile due to some problem with the the framebuffer source.

-Michael