On Friday 27 March 2009 14:26:57 Lennart Sorensen wrote:
> On Fri, Mar 27, 2009 at 12:37:07PM -0400, Mike Frysinger wrote:
> > lies.  there are no serious limitations at all with FDPIC ELF.  it is
> > functionality equivalent to ELFs running under a MMU.
>
> Well I haven't looked at FDPIC ELF since it doesn't work on m68knommu yet.

that makes it an arch (m68k here) issue rather than no-mmu vs mmu.  not all
no-mmu ports have FDPIC ELF support.  i think just ARM, Blackfin, FRV, and SH
at this point.

> > you can memory map files without a MMU
>
> How?

well, neither statement is correct at the pure end of the spectrum.  mmap() is
not completely supported in all situations since accesses cant be trapped, but
nor is it completely unsupported.  for most ram/rom(xip) filesystems, mmap()
the file works fine since it's already in the memory map ...
-mike