From: uclinux-dev-boun...@uclinux.org [mailto:uclinux-dev-boun...@uclinux.org]
On Behalf Of Greg Ungerer
Sent: Monday, May 11, 2009 12:23 AM
To: uClinux development list
Subject: Re: [uClinux-dev] Moving to new kernel distro

Hi Roger,

Roger Thornblad wrote:
> We have been working with a 2.0.x series kernel on a MCF5307 processor
> for a very long time now.
>
> We are looking at new platforms (MCF5329, 54xx versions among others)
> to get onboard USB and LCD controller support.
>
> I'm assuming we need to move to the 2.4 or 2.6 kernel to get support
> for the new processors and I'm trying to get a feel for how much work
> we will have in moving to a new kernel distribution.

Generally yes. And for the newest processors you will need to move to 2.6. I
haven't pushed new processor support into 2.4 kernels for a few years now
either. (So for 5329 support you will need to use a 2.6 series kernel for
example).

> I've downloaded a distro and tried to get it running on a 5407 eval
> board but have had no luck.

Have you tried the very latest dist with the very latest patch:

http://www.uclinux.org/pub/uClinux/dist/patches/uClinux-dist-20080808-20090423.patch.gz

I recall a few console fixups recently that you may need in this patch.

> I was trying to use the 2.6 kernel and it appears the 5407EVB is not
> supported.

I take it you mean the 5407C3 eval board?
As far as I know that is the only eval board the for the 5407 that
Motorola/Freescale have ever produced?

Its in the dist as the "Freescale/M5407C3" target.

> I believe it's a config issue.  Has anybody tried this?

Unfortunately my 5407C3 board no longer works, so it is not a board that I can
regularly test anymore.

But I would suggest trying out the patch above if you haven't already. Another
thing to try would be hard configuring the RAM size in the kernel configs
(incase the auto size detection is not working properly).

> Is there anywhere I can find an example of a workng configuration for
> the 5407EVB.
>
> If not, we are looking at getting a 5329 Eval board in house to look at.
>
> I've seen some comments about USB problems with 5329.  Does anyone
> have any input on how well it supports LCD and USB operations and if
> the USB issues are still present?

I coulnd't say, I don't have one of those either... :-)

Regards
Greg