Hi Philip,

On 12/17/2009 11:01 PM, Philip Nye wrote:
Erwin Authried wrote:
Am Donnerstag, den 17.12.2009, 08:50 +0100 schrieb angelo:
Hi Greg and All,

i have added to the kernel config the block and MTD support, anyway i
still have the same kernel panic
Hi Angelo,

you have to enable the physmap driver, and specify start address and
length of your flash there. You have to enable MTD_JEDECPROBE for
non-CFI flash. For CFI-flash, you have to enable MTD_CFI_INTELEXT or
MTD_CF_AMDSTD, depending on the type of flash that you use. If it still
doesn't work, post your enabled kernel config options with *MTD* in the
name, and the flashchip that you use.

I am having similar issues to Angelo.

Does this mean it is not possible to have a root filesystem on romfs
without
configuring MTD, MTD_BLKDEVS and maybe MTD_BLOCK (or MTD_BLOCK_RO)? Is
there
somewhere else to mount the romfs?

My system executes from RAM with romfs following the kernel in typical
uClinux fashion. I only enable MTD at all so I can use char devices for
accessing flash from user programs.

Given the simplicity of using MTD and the uclinux.c mapping why
would you not be using if you have your root fs after your kernel
binary?

There are other methods, init ramfs, initrd, etc. Don't know if
anyone has tried them on m68knommu.

Regards
Greg