From: Mike Frysinger <vap...@gentoo.org>
To: uclinux-dev@uclinux.org
Cc: Dave Rensberger <drens...@yahoo.com>
Sent: Wed, March 24, 2010 6:27:15 PM
Subject: Re: [uClinux-dev] bzero and bcopy  in 20100315 with uClibc on i386

On Wednesday 24 March 2010 17:57:12 Dave Rensberger wrote:
> I just did a quick look into the source last night, and most of the
> architecture-specific areas of uClibc have definitions bcopy and bzero
> (x86_64 had them, but not i386).

if you're looking under libc/string/<arch>/, then that doesnt represent what
you might think.  those are optimized versions only.  generic C
implementations exist for all string functions.

> But it was late last night when I
> discovered this, so I didn't really do a very thorough analysis...  it may
> actually just be a uClibc configuration problem (I am just using the
> default configuration).

the default uClibc configuration turns off support for deprecated functions by
design.  you might want to enable the macro-rewrite option rather than going
with the runtime bloat.  this has the uClibc headers provide macros that
rewrite the deprecated b* functions to the equivalent mem*/str* ones.

> I hit 3 utilities in the /user area that use the deprecated functions
> (bash, boa, and a 3rd one that I don't remember).   Maybe I just got
> unlucky and happen to have a system that uses a lot of the offenders.
> I'll do a find when I get home tonight to see how many there actually are.

i blame uClinux-dist for being out of date :p.  personally, ive been sending
patches to people for this and everyone has accepted them ... i have no info
wrt your specific examples though.
-mike