On Thursday 01 April 2010 09:38:15 pm Philippe De Muyter wrote:
> We use a pure user-level solution with
>
>       ioctl(fd, TIOCMBIS, TIOCM_RTS);
>       /* wait some delay or rely on a CTS */
>       write(fs, message, message_len);
>       /* eventually wait for a message_len based delay*/
>       tcdrain(fd);
>       ioctl(fd, TIOCMBIC, TIOM_RTS);

The biggest problem with that is not being able to have good control of the
delay between the tcdrain() and ioctl(); for things like ModBus you end up
with corrupted responses because the unit you've addressed has already started
writing its response before you have shut off your transmitter.

For ModBus slave devices this solution would work without much issue at all.

-A.