> Not sure if it applies here, but I use a utility called "setserial" to
> set the "low_latency" flag on the port.
I've heard about this setting and used the following code to adjust it:

        ioctl( ttyfd, TIOCGSERIAL, &ser );
        ser.flags |= ASYNC_LOW_LATENCY;
        ioctl( ttyfd, TIOCSSERIAL, &ser );

Is it right or how can it be setup in a proper way?

Yes, that is the same option.
> I also build my kernel with a
> 1000hz tick rate. It seems to reduce some of the latency,
How can changing of tick rate affect to the whole system? Ethernet, USB, framebuffer? These subsystems work just fine.

Its been a long time since I have looked at the details, but if I recall, the line discipline is run by the scheduler, so the slower the tick rate, the longer it takes the line discipline to detect there are characters to process. The default tick rate on a 2.6 kernel is 1000hz anyway.