Quoth Jerry:
> This is precisely why I am asking the question :). given that the
> application has a single main thread i do not see why this
> expectation is unreasonable or irrational!

If you look at the documentation for signal handlers, you'll see that they
get called asynchronous to normal program flow, and thus even in a
single-threaded app they're outside of the normal call path.  (This is why
you're only allowed to call a small subset of functions; throwing exceptions
are not included in that set.)

In this way, they're similar to interrupt handlers.