Hi Daniel,

I just looked in my .config file. There is nothing about CP15, and you're
right, my processor does not have such a coprocessor. Concerning the
Architecture ID: 0x41007700 is for ARM7/710 according to the comments in
head.S, but there is also 0x00020000, which is ARMv4T, which should also do the
job, shouldn't it?

Anyway, with none of these, my kernel is able to boot.

I have tried two variants: one without the "Compressed ROM bootloader" optiion.
With this, the zImage must be copied to SDRAM and be executed there. This did
not work, as well as with the "Compressed ROM bootloader" option, which should
allow zImage to run from Flash. It also does not matter whether my Architecture
ID is 0x41007700 or 0x00020000. The worst thing is, that I'm unable to debug
this code. I tried it with some JTAG - GDB Adaptor and then tried to connect
with ddd, but it cannot match the debug symbols with the addresses, for me it
looks like the code is being executed from another address whether it is liked
to. But I have set these Parameters:

CONFIG_DRAM_BASE=0xa0000000
CONFIG_DRAM_SIZE=0x03000000
CONFIG_FLASH_MEM_BASE=0x80000000
CONFIG_FLASH_SIZE=0x00400000

So what I did so far is to just step trough the plain assembly code, without
any debug symbols, and you can imagine, it's very difficult to get an idea what
this thing is doing :-)

Basically, I think NOMMU should work with the standard Linux kernel, as well as
the ARM7TDMI variant. Or am I wrong and I need some special branch or patch or
something? I don't think so, because there are options in the menuconfig for
NOMMU and ARM7TDMI, and that's why I'm a bit confused, I expected it at least
to decompress and boot properly until it comes to some machine-specific
initialisations (which reside in arch/arm/mach-* directory).

Tobias