actually, PgSQL works quite effectively if you stay away from search.c and
move towards something like the Perl front-end ... we switched, and the
difference in response times was like going from night->day ... right now,
our index database is running:

%sbin/indexer -S etc/udmsearch.conf

          UdmSearch statistics

    Status    Expired      Total
   -----------------------------
         0          0          6 Not indexed yet
         1          0          2 Unknown status
       200          0      13446 OK
       301          0        160 Moved Permanently
       302          0         18 Moved Temporarily
       304          0      89691 Not Modified
       400          0          1 Bad Request
       401          0          6 Unauthorized
       403          0          6 Forbidden
       404          0        908 Not found
       500          0         36 Internal Server Error
       503          0         16 Service Unavailable
     Total          0     104296

udmsearch=# select count(1) from ndict;
  count
 12949315