in my tests your 3 little files wouldn't make a difference. he would
have to run splitter -p and splitter on all the files starting from the
first original RAW file, including all the 31 MB file. i believe in my
case it was the original 31mb file which caused the problem.

while processing the first 31mb file, it didn't core dump, but all the
preceeding files did cause core dumps at unpredictable times, but often
at the same location initially (i.e. 77C3000...)

therefore, in order to recreate the scenario, one would have to start
from the first raw file. i've tar-ed up such a series of file for Alex.
perhaps he'll be able to find out why. my hypothesis is an array or
buffer overflow in splitter.c.